A happy and healthy New Year to you all! With the new year comes a changing of the guard in the chapter leadership, the winter book club event, and preparations for the 2019 ARLIS/NA conference in Salt Lake City. I want to take this opportunity to highlight these items and events that are fast approaching.
For those of you who were unable to attend the fall business meeting, we have elected two new officers for 2019. Meg Black (Mia) was elected Vice-chair and Lizzy Tegeler (St. Catherine University) was elected Secretary/Treasurer. As the previous Vice-chair in 2018, Beth Goodrich has moved into the role of Chair for 2019. Congratulations to our newly elected officers, and please feel free to contact any one of us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns.
ARLIS/NA conference Travel Award
This a reminder that the ARLIS/NA-Twin Cities Chapter is offering a $400 travel award for the ARLIS/NA Conference in Salt Lake City, UT, March 26-30, 2019. Applicants seeking the $400 award are asked to present a letter (via e-mail) to members of the Travel Award Committee. The letter should include a statement of qualifications, the amount of expected institutional funding, proposed conference program involvement, and expected benefits or outcomes.
This award is intended to cover the cost of a single member-rate early registration plus fees for at least one workshop or tour.
Please send letters of application to the head of the travel award committee, Ginny Moran at email@example.com. The application is due on January 18.
The Travel Award Committee will review all applications and select a recipient. The recipient will be informed and asked to accept or decline the award in writing. If the first choice award recipient declines, an alternative person from the applicant pool will be selected and offered the award. Upon receiving written acceptance of the award, the ARLIS/NA-TC Secretary/Treasurer will send the recipient a check four to six weeks prior to the start of the conference.
Award recipients are asked to write a brief conference recap for the chapter web site and give a short presentation at the first chapter meeting following the conference.
Winter Book Club
It’s time for the ARLIS/NA-Twin Cities Winter Book Club! Put Thursday, Jan. 31 on your calendar and join your colleagues for an evening of food, socializing and book sharing. Due to the late date, this winter’s format will be a “Book Share,” like we had last winter. Come ready to talk about a book you have read that you would recommend to your art librarian colleagues. Typically, we focus on non-fiction reading in the winter, but fiction recommendations are okay, too. Don’t have a book to recommend? Then come to gather ideas for your next read.
We will meet at Merlin’s Rest, 3601 E Lake St, Minneapolis, from 5:30-7:30 on Thursday, Jan. 31. There will also be a live band beginning at 8:00, so feel free to stay on after the meeting to enjoy the music.
Please RSVP at the following link by Monday, Jan. 28th.
2019 Winter Book Club RSVP
ARLIS/NA Conference Highlights
Look for your Twin Cities colleagues in Salt Lake City! Several Twin Cities chapter members are attending and participating in the conference acitivities. Here is a list of our members’ involvement:
- Yoga, Tues., March 26, 5:15 pm; Wed., March 27, 7:00 am; Thurs., March 28, 7:00 am; Fri., March 29, 5:15 pm. Led by Deborah Ultan Boudewyns
- Twin Cities Chapter meeting (https://sched.co/Ixvr) Wed., March 27, 8:00-8:50 am. Come meet with your home chapter over coffee.
- Decorative Arts SIG (https://sched.co/JYro) Wed., March 27, 12:30-1:20 pm – Beth Goodrich is co-coordinator of the SIG
- Assess don’t Assume: What Gets Considered When Choosing Print vs. Digital (https://sched.co/ITtD) Wed., March 27, 1:30-2:50 pm – Deborah Ultan Boudewyns
- Inciting Learning by Doing: Bringing Active Learning Into Your Classroom (https://sched.co/ITro) Wed., March 27, 4:10-5:30 pm – Ginny Moran
- Insights for the Future: Exploring Trends and Issues in Academic Art Libraries (https://sched.co/ITsU) Thu., March 28, 11 am-12 pm – Ginny Moran
- Digital Collections: Creation, Management and Development (https://sched.co/ITsC) Thurs., March 28, 1:30-2:50 pm – Deborah Ultan Boudewyns
- Sightlines on Cultural Appropriation In Our Libraries and Communities (https://sched.co/ITss) Thurs., March 28, 3:40-5:00 pm – Deborah Ultan Boudewyns
- Academic Division (https://sched.co/JCAW) Fri., March 29, 8-8:50 am – Ginny Moran
Is anyone else presenting at the conference? Let us know so that we can promote your session!
I look forward to working with all of you as your Chapter Chair in 2019!